Friday, September 22, 2006

Warning: Rant ahead!

Ok - so I really like my Tudor/Stuart history class. Gossip, intrigue, killing - what's not to like!? The professor is a riot - very very very energetic young Englishman - and the class is mostly fun except for the two nitwits who insist on making intellectual comments about EVERYTHING the professor says. But that's another rant :D

Anywho - this professor has a penchant for mentioning that this is an "upper division" class so we should be prepared to do work. (Duh?) But he then sets up our research paper... so that every two weeks we have to turn in a step. Turn in a prospectus. Turn in a book bibliography. Turn in an online/journal bibliography. Turn in a complete and annotated bibliography. Turn in an outline (with intro and conclusion). Turn in rough draft (optional). AND THEN turn in the farking paper.

Which is great but... I don't write papers that way. I do'nt do an "outline" - I do a "quote line" where I type in all the quotes I'm going to use and document them, and then organize them and see if I have enough support in all areas of the paper... and then I formulate my thesis based on the documents and the quotes. This does not lend well to a mid-work "outline" printing. Also - if we're such good upper dividsion, hard working students... don't you think we already know how to write a research paper? geesh.

part #2 - if you have assignments due, postponing them is OK... but do not do it in class on the day something was due. Case in point - we had about 150 pages of a (ather difficult) book to read. I spent a good part of the weekend doing this, and didn't get my "research paper task" completed. So I show up on tuesday, having posted my discussion questions on the difficult book, and without my paper task... and he postpones the reading assignment for a week. A WEEK. So now my paper task is late, because I stayed up busting my ass to get the reading done.

and yes, I did tell him why it was late, and yes, he let me turn it in on Thursday, but still. postponing an assignment is FINE. a few extra days is a good thing. but please at least email us the night before so we know and don't stay up late getting something huge finished.

ok /rant off

No comments: