Wednesday, June 06, 2007

I learned something new today...

http://www.amar-prestar.org/images/day1.jpg

Also... I learned how to spin today. I've wanted to learn how to spin with a drop spindle for a long time - and I found a shop about 20 minutes away that has classes and materials, so I just up and went! Walked in to what turned out to be their Wednesday afternoon stitch n bitch, and asked to see the drop spindle stuff. The lady who owns the store gave me a nearly hour long private lesson and then just let me sit and spin for awhile using "tester" rovings. I bought a spindle, two "pre drawn" rovings (that are already partially separated out so they're easier to spin) and two BRIGHT coral colored 2 oz merino rovings for my second project. I've spun up a bit of the pre-drawn and plied it, and it's super bulky, so I"m narrowing out the pre-drawn stuff slightly to make a thinner strand, so I can get more yarn out of it >.> It's lumpy, and not perfect, but it's recognizably yarn! yay!

Also working on getting stuff together for this weekend's SCA event (King's College - I get to go take classes yay!) and making K a tunic so he can go too. I've been in the SCA for 4 years now, but he's just starting to get involved. We both go and help the scribal guild every other Monday, which is a lot of fun, so hopefully he'll come with me this weekend. It's "messy" arts - so it's outside, with cooking on open fires and vat dyeing and stuff. yay! I scored some 50% off grey-blue 100% linen fabric today at JoAnns so I'm going to make that into a simple tunic for him. Good field garb, especially for TX in the summer.

No comments: