Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Instant Gratification Knitting

So I've not been feeling so well for the past few days - the allergies are winning. On top of that, yesterday I had a fight with the health insurance, and then proceeded to lose my driver's license, credit card, and health insurance card. Followed, of course, by scrambling all over town looking for it, tearing apart my car and my purse and my desk... it was stressful.

(Karl did find the cards in my car last night though - no idea how, as I'd torn the thing apart, but he found them!)

So I've been knitting dishcloths. They're contagious too. Instant gratification - you make them, they only take a few hours to knit up, and they're just so useful. I'm hooked on using them, which means I'm now also hooked on making them >.> So far, only two made (a ballband dishcloth, and a "nubbins" dishcloth), but I have lots more cotton for others. The stuff is dirt cheap and comes in such bright pretty colors! Nubbins has some other variations, and I've found another waffle/slipstitch pattern that I want to try. I have lots of dark blue cotton, so I'm trying to pair that with brighter colors so it doesn't get too crazy (:

I also just received the Charmed Knits book from amazon - Harry Potter Knitting! I'm not sure what to make first, but I think it will be some "book scarf bookmarks" in the house colors, since I think I have enough scrap yarn around here to make them. I know LTKQ is making some Ravenclaw socks too. Such a fun book, and fun knits - there really is a good bit of knitting in Harry Potter. After that, I may try a house sweater... or I have no idea. Too many patterns that I want to make right now.

In other life stuff - I'm getting ready to register an SCA name. I've used the name Elianora for the last few years (which is documentable, and from the right time period 1325-1400, Southern England). However, I'm... well just not sure how fond I am of it. I'm thinking of looking at other first names. Fortunately for me, there are lots to look at online (as well as my local Herald letting me dig through the books). Currently pondering the name Anna. No clue on last names. Should be fun though. One instance of the name Elianora is from the book of English surnames, and her last name (according to the website) was Thimblebee. Which I happen to think is a fabulous last name, if a bit silly.

Coronation approaches quickly though, and I need to get my new wimple/veil sewn up. I may just make a new wimple and use the old veil (to save time), but the material I have is a 60% linen/40% cotton lightweight and it's very drapey and nice. My old veil and wimple are made of 100% cotton, so smoother and less troublesome to iron, but not as period. I guess it'll depend on how much I want to hand hem.

No comments: