Monday, September 04, 2006

The bathroom saga continues...

So I went back to Houston this weekend, having been told that the leak was fixed, and not seeing any immediate leaking. This was fun. I saw my first pink barn (by pink I mean the precise colour of PeptoBismol. I'm not sure what drove the people to do this. if I were the neighbor, I'm not sure if I'd be pissed or just use it as a landmark - you know "yeah, we're the next left after the giant pink barn"), enjoyed spending time with K, the usual.

When I got back today, my bathroom floor was covered with water, the rugs (both) were soaked, the toilet seat cover was dripping wet, the shower curtain was wet... basically said leak was back. I called - they said "they'd try to have someone out today" - this was at about 1:30. I cancelled my piano lesson and cleaned up the bathroom, which had been covered in water and little bits of brown/black silty debris from the ceiling. Fortunately it's a clean water leak, and not a sewer water leak.

Maintenance showed up around 3:00 with two sheetrock knives and an extra bucket and a flashlight. I pulled everything out of the bathroom, and they cut a hole about 36'' by 24'' in my ceiling...

... only to discover an old air duct, surrounded by insulation, from the long gone days when this apartment had central air/heating. All of the insulation, as well as all the ceiling sheetrock, is soaked. I'm still able to take a shower and whatever, but the bathroom is a disgusting mess. They "cleaned" - which meant picking up the big stuff, but I still cannot use the commode without holding a bucket over my head to catch the dripping. The shopvac also filled my apartment with funny smelling dust - I'm hoping this settles and is not permanent. The dripping will not, apparently, change until they come back tomorrow to cut out all the old air duct, strip out the rest of the rotting sheet rock, and fix the leak.

No idea on when the painters will be back to fix the ceiling either - so I"m going to have a hole for awhile, would be my guess.

Also - the Defenders were absorbed into Lunari Meridia this weekend. (guilds in WoW) I am still not sure what to think, even though I knew this was coming. All in all, it's been very emotional (not made any better by the damn antibiotics that have been screwing with my mood - thankfully I'm done with them today).

1 comment:

Drew said...

Yeah, that merger is pretty weird. But I guess everything will be ok. I wish I were on at more sane hours, and I think I can be after I get all of the touring out of my system here.

Sorry to hear that everything is falling apart there, but at least you have the new-fangled "sit down" toilets, and not the old-fangled "other" toilets here in China. Ew.