Wednesday, October 04, 2006

A bit about John Knox

Ok - so I know he was a protestant reformer, and was all theological and stuff. But some of his writing makes me giggle. I'm reading excerpts from "The First Blast ofthe Trumpet Against the Monstrous Regiment of Women" (a political, not a theological text). It's basically a giant treatice on why Queen Elizabeth is bad. Her response to this was to announce that he would be killed on sight if she ever caught wind of him in England.

Anyway - the basic synopsis of what I just read is pretty much as follows: (yes I realize there is a lot more to this, but he really does come across this way)

Intro:
1) I hate Elizabeth
2) All women rulers are bad
3) Because they're bad, they'll get overrun by bad foreign people.
4) it's our duty to tell you this because we have the light of true religion, and we're like the prophets of the bible.

Why Women Rulers are Bad:

1) Women are blind, foolish, frenzied, and mentally ill
2) We know this because God is a man, not a woman.
3) Even Aristotle says women are stupid.
4) When women rule, rulers are vain, prideful and ambitions, greedy, and immodest.
5) All nations under evil foreign rule are that way because of women rulers.

Objections To My Arugment, and Why They're Stupid:

1) there are women prophets and rulers in the Bible.
~Just because there were good women doesn't make it OK
~God can make examples, but it takes all of his power and wisdom. Since we can't do that, women rulers are bad.
~Since I hate Elizabeth, and she's bad, those good women rulers are only good because they existed a long time ago. Elizabeth is bad.

Conclusion:
1) Elizabeth is going to hell, because she's bad
2) She's going to hell soon, because she's bad and I hate her.
3) Soon all her men will hate her too, and take God's judgement in their own hands, and kill her.
4) Since her reign, er... I mean the reign of all women rulers... is built without foundation, it is bad.
5) I hate Elizabeth. Women Rulers are Bad.

Karl's response to this:
"His wife must've refused to make him a sandwich"

No comments: