Tuesday, October 03, 2006

First Impressions...

Everyone always says that first impressions are important. Also that they can be deceiving. I'm not sure where to weigh in on this debate. In any case, this will make sense in light of an experience I had yesterday while driving back to Waco.

::warning - discussion of bathrooms ahead::

Though I drive from Waco to Houston on Fridays, and Houston to Waco on Mondays, and the trips are the same length (approx 210 miles)... I only have to pee on the way BACK to Waco (usually). This most often results in a stop in Hearne, TX - a small town (two stoplights! wow!) on Highway 6 that has a few gas stations and fast-food joints actually ON the "highway", which slows down to 35 miles an hour to go through town. (on the way out of waco, I usually stop and get a small chocolate milkshake at Sonic). So anyway, I have my pick of places with a potty.

The Chevron station is... er... well... no. Usually that means the Exxon station, which also has a Subway - mmm lunch. It's not great, but usually it's at least mostly clean. But yesterday I didn't want Subway. So I figured why not stop at the McDonalds. They have a bathroom. They have burgers and fries. So I stop in. And my first impression is glorious. The restaurant is clean, the bathroom is clean (dry floor, no paper mess, smells like "cleaner"). I'm thinking that I may have myself a new rest stop!

So I'm sitting there, doin' my thing... and discover that there is no TP. And no spare rolls. In either stall. eewy! fortunately - I have tissues! My good impression is going downhill, and fast.

I order me a cheeseburger, small fries, and a coke. And decide that coke is too sugary and ask for iced tea instead. Girl at the counter says "sure!" and changes it in the computer. I get my meal, which is HOT! and smells tasty, get back in the car, and head out. Hot french fries are a wonderful thing. So I'm thinking hey - maybe it was just an off day for the cleaning lady. I take a sip of my tea... and nearly sputter it all over the car. It's... awful.

I sit there, pondering the new nastiness that I have just put in my mouth for a few moments before I figure out what happened and why it tastes so disgusting. And then I realize... it tastes vaguely like coke.

Whoever made my drink started filling it with coke, got probably 1/2 a cup of coke in the cup, saw the order change, AND PUT THE TEA INTO THE CUP WITH THE COKE IN IT! blegh blegh blegh.

Remember that first impression? Yeah, downhill like a six year old on a toboggan on 2 feet of snow. I won't be going back.

No comments: